Wednesday, 7 September 2011

ARTIST / WRITER INTERVIEW WITH GEOFFERSON SEXTON

Geofferson Sexton 

AGE: 26
Current Location: Niagara Region Ontario Canada.



How did you discover your talent for art ?
I have always drawn, so I didn't really discover it, I just acquired it. 


What about your writing?
I have always told stories, I think creating things and making people feel or connect to them is an extraordinary thing. 


What is your writing style?
Cynical, Honest, Out of the ordinary, I try to write conversational, so it's not as though a robot is telling the story, so that you can connect with the characters or the narrator and experience what they experience. 


What was the first story you wrote?
 
A modern take on Narcissus which was a figure from Greek mythology.
He was so infatuated with himself that he drowned staring at his own reflection. It was a tale of a young boy's suicidal tendencies and just how selfish they actually were.



Where do you get your ideas from?

Music, Art, and from personal experiences. Also mythology, history, and occasionally psychology. 


Who are your Idols?
Stephen King
Chuck Palahniuk, 
Clive Barker, 
Stan Lee, 
David Cronnenberg, 
Edgar Allen Poe, 
HP Lovecraft, 
Charles Baudelaire, 
& John Lennon.  


Who was your role model growing up?
My Grandmother, because no matter how fantastical my dreams were, she never let reality snuff them. 


What are your inspirations?
Mostly experiences, I am very nostalgia driven. Looking at an object or feeling an object or smelling something, all kind of trigger the muse. All senses play a roll in my process. 





What keeps you motivated?


My dreams keep me motivated, they have my whole life, if I gave up on them I would be a shell.

I also have my loved ones that insure me that chasing a pipe dream isn't always a bad thing, 
if you put your heart into it.. 

What advice can you give for new artists or writers?

Write and draw as much as you possibly can!

Relieve yourself from any barriers that get in the way of you doing something you love.

When it comes to art, let the pencil flow, don't focus so much on perfection focus on creation.

The same applies to writing, don't focus on making the words eloquent, focus on telling the story, the eloquence will come as you progress. re-draft. 



( Interview by Briar-Rose August 25 / 2011 )

No comments:

Post a Comment